Newspaper Article Coroners Inquest


Original post published 1st October 2008 on my blog http://genemeet.blogspot.co.uk/

I knew that my grandmother was orphaned and when I was given a copy of her records from the orphanage this set me on a quest to find out more.
The letter written to the orphanage showed that her mother had taken her own life.
I knew when this had happened so I tracked down a copy of the local newspaper at the local studies library.
I found two items in the newspaper.
The first was a simple report of the death.
The second report detailed what had been said at the coroner's inquest.
The worst of it was that her sons had found her when they went down in the morning to get a light before going to work.
The one who found her was later killed whilst fighting in WW1 and his brother died during the flu epidemic.
I will never know what effect this had on them and until I was an adult I was unaware that my grandmother had more than 1 brother (she had 4).
Even though I did not know these people personally it was an emotional experience finding out what happened to my gt grandmother.

Comments

Popular Posts