52 Ancestors Long Line



This week I want to highlight my paternal grandmother's paternal line. 
Here is a photograph of her parents and a link to their profiles on WikiTree. I am in the process of updating these to provide links to free sources rather than the records I found on Ancestry. Their profiles were imported from my Ancestry tree in 2011 and now we have more free resources available I am slowly adding and updating.





My great grandfather followed his father and became a shoemaker, when he was old enough he worked with him, and they would work on the boots and shoes of those living in their village.

He was following both his father and grandfather in what must have been the family business. It is possible that this occupation went back further than this, but as this was before the census recorded an occupation, and very few residents were recorded in a directory, I have yet to discover the occupation of any earlier generations.

He was recorded as working for the poor law guardians and must have been providing shoes for the inmates of the local workhouse.

However, times changed and Alfred was a hairdresser by the time he died. Maybe his customers started buying from shops or did not require him to repair their shoes as they bought new ones. 
Since Asthma is listed as a cause of death was he struggling with any chemicals he used or did he develop an allergy I doubt it as he would probably had contact with chemicals as a hairdresser.

Here are the profiles for George Wiltshire his father and William Wiltshire his grandfather.

Comments

Popular Posts